Unless otherwise indicated, all Institute books are published and distributed by The University of North Carolina Press. For ordering information, call 1-800-848-6224 or fax 1-800-272-6817. Please note that these books can be purchased only through UNC Press and not through the Institute.
Masterless MistressesThe New Orleans Ursulines and the Development of a New World Society, 1727-1834
by Emily ClarkRead more about this book.
- Kemper and Leila Williams Prize in Louisiana History, Historic New Orleans Collection and the Louisiana Historical Association (2007)
Moral CapitalFoundations of British Abolitionism
by Christopher Leslie BrownRead more about this book.
- Frederick Douglass Book Prize, Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition (2007)
- James A. Rawley Prize in Atlantic History – AHA (2006)
- Morris D. Forkosch Prize – AHA (2006)
- Choice Outstanding Academic Title (2006)
American CuriosityCultures of Natural History in the Colonial British Atlantic World
by Susan Scott ParrishRead more about this book.
- Jamestown Prize (2005)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society's Ralph Waldo Emerson Award (2006)
Sex among the RabbleAn Intimate History of Gender and Power in the Age of Revolution, Philadelphia, 1730-1830
by Clare A. LyonsRead more about this book.
- James Broussard Best First Book Prize, Society for Historians of the Early Republic (2007)
The Geographic Revolution in Early AmericaMaps, Literacy, and National Identity
by Martin BrücknerRead more about this book.
- Louis Gottschalk Prize, American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (2006-2007)
By Birth or ConsentChildren, Law, and the Anglo-American Revolution in Authority
by Holly BrewerRead more about this book.
- James Willard Hurst Prize, Law and Society Association (2006)
- Cromwell Prize, William Nelson Cromwell Foundation, American Society for Legal History (2006)
- Order of the Coif Book Award, Order of the Coif (2008)
Children of Coyote, Missionaries of St. FrancisIndian-Spanish Relations in Colonial California, 1769-1850
by Steven W. HackelRead more about this book.
- James Broussard Best First Book Prize from the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic, SHEAR (2006)
- Erminie Wheeler-Voegelin Best Book Award, American Society for Ethnohistory (2006)
- Hubert Herring Book Award, Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies (2006)
- Norman Neuerburg Award, Historical Society of Southern California (2006)
- W. Turrentine Jackson Award, Western History Association (2007)
Town HouseArchitecture and Material Life in the Early American City, 1780-1830
by Bernard L. HermanRead more about this book.
- Abbott Lowell Cummings Award, Vernacular Architecture Forum (2006)